Mentoring Program in Los Angeles Area

Would you like to volunteer and make a difference in child's life? I work for a program titled Embracing Our Youth that links children (living in Los Angeles Area) who have a parent in prison with a mentor (a positive role model) to prevent the cycle of incarceration. If you would like to help Please call me at (310) 764-09955 x103

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Monitoring is hard but very rewarding


I became a mentor on January of this year. I mentor 2 brothers, ages 6 and 8. It has been pretty rewarding and challenging road.

The reward I get is through their smiles and laughter that let me know I did something right.

But the challenge is when they don't want to participate or even try out new and different activities. When they even seem bored when any other child their age should be having the time of their lives. I have looked at their eyes and I found out that they have a difficult time letting loose and having fun. They, as many of our mentees, have gone through so much during their short lives. They come from homes where they have seen more than any child should experience in their life time.
I have to keep reminding myself that I am here to show them a different environment, to show them how to have fun, and to help them out whenever they ask for help.
My reward would come later when I see them grow up to be productive men.

I know many of you have voice your frustations to our program staff, but please remember these are not privilege children, they don't come from stable families. You cannot expect to have a wonderful relationship without any bumps along the road.

These is a blog made for you to seek advice and to give advice, to voice out your frustations and to recover all hope... Please use it.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Mentors,

I just wanted to wish each and everyone of you a wonderfully blessed and prosperous new year.



Katrice Johnson
Program Coordinator
Embracing Our Youth Mentoring

2:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home